Tuesday 26 February 2013

Back From A Snowy Paradise

We had a wonderful break in Sweden and altho I didn't speak much Swedish, I definitely enjoyed being surrounded by the language :o) The snow was amazing and we saw the Northern Lights one night and although it was only a kp index 1 or 2 so only showed as a creamy-beige colour to the naked eye (bright green on digital camera) it was truly beautiful and I would have stayed up all night to watch it had it have only stayed to play longer.

Food in Sweden (or at least Stockholm and Porjus) is sooo expensive, especially when you're used to cheap value brands over here. The two main supermarkets we were able to go to were ICA and COOP. They both had their own value brands but I think they were about another 1/3 of the price on top of the UK version. We didn't starve though so that was the main thing :o) just keep an eye out for the weekly offers, especially on meat as that seemed to be really expensive.

A Swedish Frugal Tip
...For when you're in Stockholm. Try not to pee! We were based around the train station and thankfully used the free facilities at the airport before we caught the coach to Stockholm. The train station wanted to charge us 10 kronor each to use their loos! That's about £1 in GBP!!! Roughly 1 euro! When there's three of you, that makes £3 each time! Mike googled and it seems that everywhere charges about 50-100 kronor in Stockholm. Somehow (especially with my walnut bladder) we managed to hold off until we got onto the sleeper train. On the return journey we didn't stay too long in Stockholm and decided to wait it out at the airport - mainly because of the free to use loos! I know we used to charge 1p when public loos first came about (I think in London) in order to pay for their installation (?) and this gave rise to the saying of "spending a penny" when saying you need the loo. But I don't think we have that here anymore... If you know of anywhere that charges, please do let me know as I'd love to where and how much. I'm sure it wouldn't be £1 though, surely?

It was wonderful being out there, the view of trees, snow, snow and trees was totally amazing and I miss that immensely. But... It's sooo good to be back! Back around my familiar every day life this and that. My own bed, a decent shower, Tesco value loo roll (where the apartments loo roll makes ours look like it's from Harrods!). It's amazing what things you miss or discover you take for granted... I never realised how much I love the little sink next to the regular kitchen sink! It's so great to be able to pour away the tea dregs when you're mid-washing up and not have to make sure all the mugs etc are empty before you fill the sink up! I will now forever look at the mini sink with fondness and appreciation.
Not our sink, but you get the idea :o)

Well, I'm back on my no spending lifestyle now. We came home Saturday and besides having Chinese late that night for dinner (and breakfast the following day) I have not spent a penny, so to speak! I really can't afford to. Came home to find that our incomings are going down but our outgoings are going up! Not good. Looks like I won't be able to save my stitching money for a summer holiday but it'll have to go on bills instead :o( I think I'm gunna have to take back full control of the money (not an easy thing to do when the money doesn't go straight to you) and work out some super cheap yet tasty and filling meal ideas. We've only been back 3 days, but I'm very proud to have not spent any money :oD and I'm gunna try and continue for the whole of March - anyone wanna join me on a no spend month? I will say it now though that I have to take out some birthday money to get my 2 sisters and 3 of my nieces and nephews sorted. So £50 will have to be spent soon :o( All the cousins are sorted though and I've given their cards and money to my Mum already to hand out when the birthdays come around. Oh bugger! And a few quid for Easter eggs too!Looks like it's gunna be an expensive month after all... Good job I'm not buying anything for myself eh?!

Ok, so besides Easter and birthdays, I'm not spending any money! Oh!! And Mother's Day!!!! Yikes! That's in March too (UK). I was thinking of stitching something for my Mum, so I might do that, although I only have a couple of weeks to do it in... We shall see...

Anyway, that's it for now... Big hugs xx

No comments:

Post a Comment