Thursday 3 January 2013

One Step Forward...

...And two steps back. That's how I'm feeling at the moment with regards to money. My step son turns 21 tomorrow so will be having money for his present and as he has an older brother, he kind of has to have the same amount as he did (I personally think it's too much but don't really have a say in it). So that's one big chunk of money having to be spent. The second chunk of money we have to spend though, is really pissing me off. He's having a family meal out, I'm guessing he arranged it with his Mum. We weren't consulted about it but are expected to be able to afford to go and we can't really not go. For myself, Mike and Ayse I think it'll cost about £50!!! To me, that is sooo much money! Almost 2 weeks worth of food shopping spent in one night on food. I feel like eating dinner at home and then sharing a pizza between the 3 of us there. It wouldn't bother me to do that, after all, what's more important? The food or the company? Grrr! We're definitely eating from the freezer! I have gotten out leftover chicken korma for me and Mike tomorrow and we'll just need to boil up some rice. No spending there. Saturday is the meal so even if we do eat prior to going it'll only be something on toast - tinned spaghetti, scrambled eggs or something. No spending there. For Sunday, I'll have a rummage around in the freezer, see what meat needs using up.

Mike made some bread today, had to buy some powdered milk for it - £1.15. Also had to buy some more regular milk - £2.78. Looks like we'll be under £25 for this weeks groceries though :oD I need to source some cheap and tasty recipes for next week as I don't think we have much more to scrounge out of the freezer lol. I can feel a slow-cooker casserole with a little meat but plenty of veg and pulses coming on :o)

Hmmm any more news? I'm enjoying Mountain Men :o) just watched the second episode :o)
Used the new to us sky control - it's so nice to be able to press the tv guide, i, play and volume buttons lol!!! Love it! Just gotta wait until the rest of our programmes come back on the planner after their christmas break so we don't miss any lol, then we can swap the actual box too.

Hmmm as for my frugal tip for the day... I would say don't settle down with anyone who has an ex wife or kids but that would be mean and just display the unhappiness and lack of control I'm feeling at the moment, which would be wrong and unfair. So....

Frugal Tip #3 - Lists

Write a list of items you *need* to buy - stuff you have no choice in the matter of and which you can't do without. Also write a list of items you *want* to buy. These are items which you can do without but if you find one really cheap and can afford to buy it then you would consider doing so. These want items can also be looked at in a few weeks time and you might even realise that you no longer want something on there and it can be crossed off the list and you can feel happy knowing that you didn't buy it and that you've just saved yourself some money :o)

Another important list to make is for when you go food shopping. Make a meal plan for the week and maybe even have a couple of meals which you could swap out depending on if there are any reduced items or offers which would make sense to buy instead. Don't buy anything that's not on the list unless you need it and had truly forgotten to buy it.

Another list which is useful to do, especially at the start of the year is a list of birthday presents you need to give. Write down all the people and write down how much you want to spend on them or what you want to make for them and if you need to buy any materials for them, how much they would be. Total the amount up and this will help you plan for saving money for them. You can also do this for Christmas too.


Can't wait to get this weekend over with so we can continue NOT spending so much. I'm hoping the changeover of suppliers will be on the quicker end of their estimated time too! I read an interesting quote on someones blog or website recently. It went something along the lines of:

We are the only animal on the planet fool enough to pay for our food and housing.

Yep, that made me think. Life is definitely weird and definitely and unfortunately centres around money. Perhaps other species have it better than us?

Hugs xx

No comments:

Post a Comment